Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Making Hallowe'en.

It's good to be back at the ol' S&P for an evening of winding down from a day's work.

I'm sure you all know the feeling. That's why we're here.

It was a cold, drizzly day and therefore perfect for making Hallowe'en props. I headed out to pick up some supplies at generic-home-center-of-your-choice and went straight to my cousins' shop where there is space, space and tools and more space to lay everything out and build-build-build.

Today I had in mind the coffin for my "Lemmeouttahere!" hands. Styrofoam insulation board is always the way to do things like this when the prop needs to be lightweight but sturdy.

Measure twice, cut once.


Hot glue, zip screws, fender washers. The elements are coming together, Sir!


In case anyone doubted it was STYROFOAM Scoreboard.

I got some much-needed assistance from my cousin Goober (yes, we call him that, and by the way his birthday is October 31st so don't even tick him off). Here he is working on a project that is actually paying him something:
I am not allowed to use any of the machines that make the pretty sparkles; fingers can't play music or make Hallowe'en if they are eaten by machines that make the pretty sparkles.


He routed the top edge for me, then I painted... until:

Once I add some aging and hardware (handles and some trim) it'll look fab-oh. Heck, with the right lighting I'd call it done but I just can't live without the ornamentation.

I'll get a little motor in there, add my hands (well, not my hands but those I made before) and some green lighting inside... oh and some fabric to line the inside.

Tomorrow is coffin finishing and hitchhiking ghosting day.


DumdumShhhhhpoonk!

No comments:

Post a Comment